Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Vancouver 2010

The Vancouver 2010 Olympic flame will only burn for a few more hours. As I write this Canada and the US are facing off in hockey for the final medals of the Games.

The last 2 weeks have been unbelievable and unforgettable. The week that I spent in Vancouver is something I will never forget. Witnessing Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir win a gold medal was simply incredible. Seeing athletes that I've known for years compete at the Games never gets old.

The athletic competition always gets me and there were a ton of memorable moments.



The most memorable and inspiring part of the games for me is the new attitude that we seem to have as Canadians. I have never seen so much Canada clothing, red and white, or maple leafs in my life. The only thing that I can compare the atmosphere in Vancouver with is the 2002 Canadian Gold medal hockey win. Every night. It was unbelievable. People shouting out "Go Canada!" randomly on the streets. Canadian pride is finally on display. All I can say is it is about time. I really hope that we don't lose this feeling. I hope it isn't some thing that gets extinguished with the flame. I hope this is a enduring legacy of these Games. Canada, lets keep our swagger. We are simply the best country in the world. The coolest country. We can still be the polite Canadians. We can say "Excuse me" as we blast by some one, in athletics or in anything else. This is a kick ass country and it is time we believe it.

I want to thank the people of Vancouver who have done such an excellent job of hosting the world. You are a credit to this county. You welcomed the rest of the country and the world and did a simply amazing job. I don't think anyone that wasn't in Vancouver will ever know how great it was. Disney crowds times 100 24 hours a day. Thank you.

In the days to come I will post my Games Journal. My plan to blog the Games was derailed by a lack of wifi. I will also post a list of what I've learned from my trip to these Games. I hope to get back one day to the Games but I don't think anything will top these Games. When Canada once again host a Games you can count on me being there. No way I would miss it.

I think the athlete of the Games from all counties was Joannie Rochette. To continue to compete after losing her mother is inspiring and unbelievable. I will never know where she found the strength.

"Anyone can give up, its the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else in would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

To Canadian politicans and corporate world keep on funding sport in Canada. You have just seen its value. We must not forget this feeling and contiune to support our athletes. Own the podium did its job for these Games but there is more work to do. I don't think Canadians will be statisfied with anything less. We have scene what can be done when we support our Olympians.

Canada keep believing.

1 comment: